Leading Women Educators Impacting Education Worldwide
The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International promotes professional and personal growth of women educators and excellence in education.
Twelve women met in 1929 on the campus of the University of Texas in Austin with noble aspirations to build an organization to promote women in education and bring recognition and respect to their profession. The result of their planning was the founding of The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International. These Founders created a list of five Purposes which were intended to guide the organization. This number later grew to seven. These Purposes are as relevant today as they were in 1929.
1. TO UNITE women educators of the world in a genuine spiritual fellowship.
2. TO HONOR women who have given or who evidence a potential for distinctive service in any field of education.
3. TO ADVANCE the professional interest and position of women in education.
4. TO INITIATE, ENDORSE AND SUPPORT desirable legislation or other suitable endeavors in the interests of education and
of women educators.
5. TO ENDOW scholarships to aid outstanding women educators in pursuing graduate study and to grant fellowships to non-
member women educators.
6. TO STIMULATE the personal and professional growth of members and to encourage their participation in appropriate programs
7. TO INFORM the members of current economic, social, political,and educational issues so that they may participate effectively in
a world society.
Journey....Which way will you go?